On September 30, Google celebrated the annual event to present its new devices, among which was the new Google stick , nicknamed Google Sabrina , and which has finally received the name of Chromecast with Google TV . This device, which comes to replace the Chromecast Ultra is designed to be connected to the HDMI connector on our televisions and turn them into Smart TVs through the new interface of Google TV (also renovated to new this device) and its ecosystem of apps designed and adapted for the experience of use on a TV.
The day after launching the new Chromecast, Google published the new Google TV launcher in the Play Store , which has made it easier to download the corresponding APK and test its installation on existing Android TV devices such as the NVIDIA Shield TV or the Xiaomi Mi Box .
You can get more detailed information about the new Chromecast with Google TV, such as its specifications and price, on its official page in the Google Store .
Next, we explain the steps to follow to install and test the new Google TV interface on a device with Android TV. You can also see the video above where it is explained step by step how to install.
- Android TV 9 device
- A USB key or an Android mobile connected to the same WiFi as the Android TV device or
Step 1: Install the Google TV launcher
First of all, we must download the official Google TV launcher and the updated Google search App for it to work correctly:
Next, we must copy the downloaded files to the device with Android TV . There are two possible options:
- If the Android TV device has a USB port , copy the downloaded files to a USB disk and connect it to the device
- Perform load files on Android TV by App Send files to TV that we must have previously installed both a mobile with Android in the Android TV device.
Once we have the files copied to the Android TV device, we proceed to their installation using a file explorer , for example, FX File Explorer available in the Android TV Play Store.
Step 2: Launch the new Google TV launcher
The next step is to open the new Google TV launcher to test and navigate through the interface to see if this new aspect suits our taste. The truth is that it is a launcher that focuses more on the content and recommendations of movies and series, so some will find it more intrusive by focusing more on advertising said audiovisual content. Therefore, before setting out to set the new Google TV launcher by default, first test if you like it and then in Step 3 decide if you want to set it as the default launcher on your Android TV.
To test the Google TV launcher , we must download and install the Home Screen Launcher App in the Android TV Play Store.
Once installed, we open the Home Screen Launcher App and click on the button that says LauncherX that will start the new Google TV launcher. Initially it will take a while to load, but after about 10-15 seconds the main page of the new Google TV interface will appear. Older, we can also navigate to the Applications, Collection and Settings tab.
Step 3 (Optional): Set the default Google TV launcher
To set the Google TV launcher as the default launcher of our Android TV system , we must download and install the Remote ADB Shell App on our Android smartphone . Once installed, we must do the following:
- In Android TV , check the IP Address of our Android TV in Settings> Status .
- On Android TV , go back to Settings> Developer options and Turn on USB Debugging .
- Open Remote ADB Shell on the mobile and enter the IP address of our Android TV and the port , which by default is 5555 .
- Click on Connect and allow USB debugging.
- Enter the following command : pm uninstall –user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher
- Press Enter on the keyboard.
Uninstall the Google TV launcher
To return to the native launcher of Android TV 9 , we will follow the same steps as before, but in the last step we must write the following command:
- cmd package install-existing com.google.android.tvlauncher